Where to go for free financial advice

Moneyhelper joins up money and pensions guidance to make it quicker and easier to find the right help. Moneyhelper brings together the support and services of three government-backed financial providers: the Money Advice Service. The Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise.

Managing our finances can be challenging under normal circumstances, and the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic has only increased the financial pressures many of us are facing. Whether it’s concerns about job security, a reduction in your household income, or an increase in your running costs at home – sometimes it can be hard to see a pathway through.

There is support that you can access, with tailored advice and support for your individual circumstances, to help you find solutions that work for you and your family.

If you need financial support now, you can contact the Money Advice Service for free, confidential and impartial money advice by telephone on 0800 448 0826 or via WhatsApp (message +44 7701 342 744) or view their range of online services. The Money Advice Service also offers a series of webinars held with experts. These sessions cover a range of topics to help manage your finances and/or help you support others.

Work and financial support

Your COVID Recovery – returning to work.

Government website covering furlough, the self-employed, those not working or the unemployed.

Personal Independence Payment.

Although it’s important not to raise expectations, people who are unable to work because of long Covid symptoms may be able to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which is an allowance intended to help cover costs for those with a long-term health condition or disability.


Information about local foodbanks can be obtained via local authority websites or the Trussell Trust.

You can also find other guidance at the following places:

Universal Credit cut: Everything you need to know – Citizens Advice.

Debt Respite Scheme (Breathing Space) guidance for creditors – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).

Access to work.

Find benefits, grants and financial support.

Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)

If you’re pregnant or have children under the age of 4 you can get free vouchers or payments every 4 weeks to spend on: cow’s milk, fresh, frozen or tinned fruit and vegetables, infant formula milk, fresh, dried, and tinned pulses. You can also get free Healthy Start vitamins.


Please leave any feedback you have here.

    Did you find what you needed today?

    Tell us what was missing?

    What are you planning to do next with the information you've found?

    How can we make this website better?